Skip to main content

Food Storage

***Disclaimer, this is possibly a very boring yet informative post. Please still agree to come back to my blog, even if you fall asleep reading this. And the point of this blog is in the last paragraph so feel free to skip down there to get the gist of my thoughts.***

Food storage is something that has been ever present in my mind for the past three years or so. Food storage for Eric, and food storage for me is quite different however. Eric feels food storage is all about buying hugely in bulk, and then keeping it on your shelf for 50 years and using it when an emergency hits. Food storage for me is buying things we use regularly- so when I want to make dinner- I don't have to have even gone to the store for two weeks, and we can make a delicious meal out of what we have. For the record- I think we're both correct on what food storage is because guess what in each instance we're storing FOOD- and we do need and have both of these types of storage.

I feel I now have been blessed with the most food storage I have ever had in my life- and even with a smaller budget I am able to still get more "food storage" items every week- especially with the help of the pinching your pennies website. (Thank you again Julie for directing me to that site.) Buying things you use in bulk when on incredible sales also greatly helps your budget, and gets you more and better food than you ever thought you could. But that's a side note and maybe another whole blog post in and of itself.

All of this to say- I have recently been trying to use my bigger food storage items like hard red wheat and oatmeal. For one because Eric feels if a disaster hit many of us would die because our intestinal tract isn't used to whole wheat, and for another because making things from scratch can be healthier and more delicious at times. So I welcomed a USU extension class on wheat in September. What a great experience, and since then I have been trying to make whole wheat bread, and cracked wheat cereal, and add whole wheat to many other things. (I ground my hard red wheat at my grandma Barrus' house.) I am going to say it is for sure a learning process and things don't always work out, (like the "bread" I made last week was more like crumbling mortar consistency) but it has been great as I can tell a huge difference in me not being as hungry as I fill up on these wheat nutrients. (I hadn't made bread for about a week, and my other wheat bread from the store was out as well, so I had white breads and things instead and I was constantly hungry- rather than hungry every 2-3 hours, a very important difference.)

All in all I feel it has been a success, and it is so much cheaper to use my 25 lb bag of wheat from the cannery I got for 6.99, grind that wheat, keep it in the fridge and use it, than even use the white flour I get already processed in the bag.

My point here is I also just started using powdered milk in my recipes. O.k. started as in I opened my #10 can yesterday, and put it in some of the wheat bread I made. However today while looking around at some food storage things, I found some recipes ideas for powdered milk that I think I am going to start using. The website is here and has great recipes to make your own yogurt, condensed milk, smoothies, and even whipped topping! This is fantastic as I love whipped topping, but don't usually have it on hand in my storage when I need it- but now I can make it whenever I need it! Pinching your pennies also has a great thread on powdered milk and using it for even condensed cream soups and cream of brocolli soup. Go here for more info on that. Happy! I was just excited and wanted to share this with you! Have a great one!

P.S. There's another USU extension class next Thursday from 11 AM- 1 PM at the extension center in Provo. The topic for the class is holiday breads and traditions. The class is $2 prepaid and $3 at the door- and there is LOTS of food there- it's pretty much an incredible lunch for $2- and you learn a ton at the same time. If you want to go let me know and maybe we can go together!

Comments

Kristi said…
Good for you Brooke! It really is easy to incorporate food storage into everyday life, I've been trying for a while now. Another great website is everydayfoodstorage.blogspot.com, and I have an awesome recipe for whole wheat pancakes on my recipe blog itwasamazing.blogspot.com (just search for pancakes), you don't even need to grind the wheat! I wish I was there so we could figure all of this stuff out together! Good luck though!!
Anna said…
if I didn't have work i would totally come with you. sigh. work.
Criscell said…
GOod for you! I totally need to get more food storage...

I LOVE making homemade whole wheat bread from my food storage though, and I make it every week. It's delicious!
Maxmomma said…
Hmmm, I don't think it posted my last long message, so I'll try to abbreviate here!

Good work on the food storage- he who is prepared shall not fear! It is kind of lame, but I get such a high out of doing food storage. I just think about how safe it makes me feel for my family and neighbors if there were an earthquake, or Glenn was out of work- whatever... Surprisingly fun!

Can you tell me anything about the Winter Red Wheat? Does it taste the same? I have been wondering why the church is using it and how to use it.

We miss you guys!!!!
Brooke said…
The red winter wheat has a different taste than the white winter wheat, and the spring wheat, etc, and they each have different properties. The reason why the church has so much of it is it grows here really well because it grows in the winter! In the midwest is where they grow the spring wheat, and other places the other kinds of wheat. Some people can tell a major difference in taste between the different wheats, but I figure I'll just use the red winter wheat because that's what we have most available and my family will get used to that. I have a whole packet of information on it I got from the USU extension class if you want it. Just email me!
Unknown said…
I just have to say, Kuddos to you for even having food storage, let alone, puting it to good use before it goes bad! I'm horrible with that kind of stuff. That USU class sounds great!

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....