Skip to main content

Halloween Festivities

What a great Halloween!
We decided to dress up as the Incredibles this year because we wanted our baby to be "Jack Jack" and I had the haircut for the mom right now. We used two red shirts we already owned- a black jacket under Eric's shirt- for the black collar- and a black nylon pinned around my neck for my collar. We bought two pairs of sweat pants at Savers for $8 total- and I borrowed my sisters black boots; Eric used some black socks and his black water shoes for the "boots". We bought the masks at Walgreens for 40 cents each- and cut them down a little, and wore black gloves. We printed the incredibles logo from our computer and duct taped them to our shirts. Jack wore a red onesie with red shorts, and black socks. It was really fun to create and make- and cost $9.20 total for the three of our costumes.

We carved pumpkins earlier this week with the Nichols in our ward. Here are the results- (although we couldn't find our tea lights later- so we never got them lit up besides that night with their candles.)

On the actual Halloween day we started at Eric's workplace where he won the Best Overall costume in his office! (O.k. so only 6 people dressed up and they gave out 4 awards- but still...)

Then we went to a neighborhood carnival that our neighbor Kristen put on- it was so cute and fun. I love people that go to the effort to do things that they weren't asked to do or had to do. They just want it- so they make it happen. Way to go Kristen!



Now for the funniest story of the whole day. I love Eric's cooking and he told me he wanted to concoct something for the chili cookoff, so I didn't make any chili before he got home from work. However on returning from work- he said he was too tired and didn't want to make the chili at that point. Because I have been a former activities chairman- and knew the stress that comes with worrying about running out of chili. I knew I couldn't go to the party without bringing chili. So I consulted google- took a random recipe that used ingredients we already had and made it in 20 minutes. However upon tasting my chili I thought this is not good- so added some brown sugar to it- and let it simmer for 30 more minutes. Tasting it after that I thought- well it's o.k. now- hopefully some people will be able to choke it down if they run out of chili. Well I was hoping for the costume prize (thanks for all of those that crossed their fingers for us.) and so when they announced the chili winners- I didn't even pay attention- and was helping Jonie Hakes eat at that moment- so I didn't hear them announce our name. Eric was across the room, and said Brooke- did you hear that- we won! I thought it was for costumes- so I thought that's great! And then more people started congratulating me- and one person asked what number were you? I said I didn't hear the announcement- did we win 1st 2nd or 3rd for the costumes- and they said- no what number was your chili? What???- we won the chili contest?!? (You have to understand this is a huge contest EVERY year- and I went for the costume contest, my chili was just there in case they ran out) And so there you go- folks- we won the best chili in the cookoff this year. Funny enough- they didn't even give awards for best costumes- so Eric thinks this is God's way of telling us we won the costume contest. Here's the recipe if you wanted to try it- some people said it had a smokey flavor to it- it's from the Bulls Eye I chose to add as my BBQ sauce.

Craigs 3 bean chili
www.recipezaar.com/267939

* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons chili powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
* 28 ounces diced tomatoes
* 1/3 cup barbecue sauce (optional)
* 19 ounces kidney beans
* 19 ounces black beans
* 19 ounces chickpeas
* 12 ounces corn
* 1 dash salt
* 1 dash Tabasco sauce


Directions

  1. Saute the onion and garlic in oil until the onion becomes translucent, or about 5 minutes.(I just added 1 lb of ground beef here and sauteed the onions with it.)
  2. Add chili powder, cumin and cayenne and cook for about a minute, being careful not to let the spices burn.
  3. Add diced tomatoes and barbeque sauce (if using) and bring to a boil.
  4. Add the cans of beans and corn.
  5. Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, adding salt and tabasco sauce to taste. At this point I added about 1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar. I didn't add the tabasco sauce- because we didn't have any- and I don't like tabasco sauce. Oh- and I also didn't add the chickpeas- who usually has chickpeas on hand?

There you go, award winning chili :0 who would have thought?

And here's a fun family picture from a party we went to last week.


Comments

Becca said…
Ahahaha. God does indeed work in mysterious ways. :)Too bad you didn't win the costume contest, though; your costumes were the pants!
Brandon said…
What's the jack-o-lantern-that's-not-a-face supposed to be?

Also, congrats on winning the chili contest! Go sugar, go.
Criscell said…
Your costumes really are great! Too funny that you won the chili cook off! Your pumpkins look awesome.
Brooke said…
My Jack-o-lantern was supposed to be the incredibles logo. I'll keep working on my artistic skills. Looks like I don't need to work on my cooking skills though. :)
Anonymous said…
Your costumes are sooo great!That chili contest reminds me of when they were having an art contest with a $500 prize at school. Everyone was working on their projects for weeks. My friend and I decided we were too busy to enter, but the night before we changed our minds and were laughing about how funny it would be if one of us won. And of course, my friend won. I guess it would be a better story for me to tell if I won... Uh, I threw mine away- it was really bad. Anyway, congrats!I love it when stuff like that happens. You always were a good cook when we were roomies.
Anonymous said…
Your blog looks so cute and festive. Where do you get cute backgrounds? I think Jacob is reluctant to help me make ours cute since he posts on it too. But really, it looks like a computer scientist made it, not an artist. This is not a good thing for aesthetic pleasure. Time for Painty to overrule the Brain!
Congrats on the Chili. I once won a poem contest in fifth grade that was a homework assignment that I forgot to do until 20 minutes before it was due. It was for the D.A.R.E graduation and I won 1st place out of the entire 5th grade. I was pretty pleased with myself! Those who spent days or weeks on theirs were a little upset. :)

Melinda help make my blog better when you finish yours.
Em said…
ohmygosh. We so should have been together for Halloween because Ethan was Dash and he could have almost completed the family! How fun. You guys really are incredible--love you tons!
Em

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....