Skip to main content

Rice Cereal

Jack is growing and growing and growing! And just last week he started eating rice cereal. Here is the video of that momentous occasion. Who knows what Jack will do next? (P.S. as you can see our "high chair" was the couch here. We recently wised up and have been using his swing as the high chair- and that has been working quite well, but i know it can't last forever. Our house is so small I don't think I want to get an actual high chair- what have you guys found works the best with small spaces with your little ones?)




I also had the privilege of teaching relief society this week. The usual teacher was going to be out of town- and she asked if I could fill in for her. I was so excited, as I haven't taught a real class since school ended last year- and I haven't taught adults since 2006 when I taught Sunday School. I realized some interesting things about me as I was preparing for this lesson, and not just doctrinally either. First off I was enjoying writing the talk in my head. I was constantly thinking of how I could present this topic, cross out that theme, and sorting it all out for it to fit together perfectly. I hate writing, mainly because of the constant rewriting that goes on- but I understood a little more of why people enjoy the writing process- as I was going through the same thing, just in my head and in regards to teaching others. I also loved the actual teaching situation- I was excited for the time to teach to come up, and then I was sad when the experience was over- knowing I didn't have another teaching situation in the near future for me. That reminded me of my senior voice recital- where I was stressed and not excited the whole time for it to come up, and then when it was over I was so relieved and happy. Contrast that to my fellow vocal student friend Amy who had her recital right after mine- and she commented how she was so excited for the recital, and was sad that it would be over and she didn't know when she would perform next. I never really understood what people loved about performing, until I haven't had the chance to teach for so long, and I realized how much I have missed it. These are some great things for me to finally be aware of in other people. Ciao for now!

Comments

Anna said…
my friend Helena has this one. and I want it very very VERY VERY much....she saw one on craigslist the other day and i should have snatched it up (but, shoot, I don't have a baby yet and couldn't justify spending the money, even for a used one)

http://www.stokkeusa.com/tripptrapphome.htm

But if I splurge on just one baby thing when I have a baby, this would be it.
Mandi said…
I love Eric's phone ringing in the background of the video, LOL. Oh my goodness, what a big boy! And he is so good at eating! I can't wait to get those little cousins together again for Thanksgiving. Also, we have loved our Fisher Price Space Saving high chair from Wal*mart. It attaches onto a dining chair and has 3 different recline levels (for as your baby gets better and better at sitting alone). It also converts to a booster seat for a toddler. Here's a link: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10099840

I absolutely love the one Anna linked to; it just seems so Eric's style.

Can't wait to see you guys!
Mandi said…
Oh! And I also forgot to mention: the Dollar Tree has a pack of 12 baby spoons for $1 and Family Dollar has self-feeding spoons and some good sippy cups (when Jack's ready) for $2.
Criscell said…
Rice cereal IS a momentous moment! Your baby is growing up! We never used a high chair either. At Target online you can buy these "hook on" chairs and they worked for us just fine.

I agree with you--I miss teaching AND performing music for that matter too--even though I get way stressed out beforehand!
Anonymous said…
He is growing so much, and it looks like he is going to be a good eater! We have a full size highchair. It does take up space, but I have found a benefit to it-- Dessie didn't like being on the floor all the time and we didn't really have anything for her to sit on, so the highchair was great to prop her up in with some toys long before she was able to sit up herself. Sometimes I would sit her in it by the window and she loved looking outside. It kept her entertained much longer than dangling toys above her on the floor. --but that is if you don't have a Johnny Jump up or walker or something that Jack likes to sit in. Have fun introducing new foods to Jack! It is so fun to watch them try new things.
I second the Fisher Price Space Saving high chair! It's great!!! My friend has it and it's awesome... as long as you have a chair to spare.
Anonymous said…
Haha! Feeding baby food is one of my least favorite things to do. We just use this kind of chair: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-NATURAL-WOOD-HIGH-CHAIR-COMMERCIAL-STACKABLE_W0QQitemZ310086267118QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Seating?hash=item310086267118&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 but they have to be able to sit up well. I despise booster seats and high chairs because of how many cracks and crevices there are where food hides and gets nasty. That's why we use the one we do, less places to hide food. Good luck w/ this new adventure!

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....