Skip to main content

A Sub, a Gym, and a Gem

-posted by Eric-

As a substitute I have seen a lot of different angles by which the youth of America are educated. I am constantly wondering about the best methods to get a class under control and get them to actually learn something meaningful. I'm sure we can all think back at our past subs and the **ahem** respect we showed them throughout the years.

So there I was subbing for a P.E. teacher at an elementary school (which apparently, if you say the word P.E. to a second-grader they give you a blank stare, the correct word is "gym") ready to flip the paradigm of the young people of America and how they view Physical Education.

And this is what I walked in to.


Apparently the school was an old set for the movie Saw VIII and this is where they kept all the dead bodies. This place was really spooky. I couldn't imagine how anyone could get a proper physical education here. But at least the teachers office was a state-of-the-art coaching HQ...


Wow. Seriously though, I understand that schools have to take over old buildings and have to make it fit sometimes. And honestly, the room kinda grew on me. After the first two groups of second graders came in and I saw how natural and willing they were to get to the activities I was ok with it.

Then the coolest thing happened.

As I was heading to get my third group of students one of the teachers stopped me and told me that since it was Monday the students had a special P.E. thing to do in the cafeteria and that I should just go down there.

And this is what I walked in to.


"Feet together, arms by your side, look straight, don't move any part of your body!!"
"212
[one of the classes] what is your ???. 209 [the other class in the room] can you make it better than 212?"

I was absolutely floored. Here we had two first-grade classes in perfect control, order, and having the absolute time of their life learning Taekwondo from a real instructor. They were all yelling what the teacher told them to, always followed by "YES SIR!" (I tried to get them to say that to me...it didn't work :)). Every time he had them run through exercises, like the one below or jumping jacks or anything else they would always end by saying "THANK YOU SIR!!"



To me, this was simply incredible. I don't know about you or what your response would be if you walked in to a bunch of mini Bruce Lees going through their paces, but I just love seeing these kids have SO MUCH fun running through all these exercises in such an unwestern-educational approach.

As the class went on the teacher kept yelling them instructions which I'm sure they couldn't even understand and they kept doing them in near perfect order and near perfect obedience. Then he asked for volunteers, and this kid took the stage.



Such passion, such devotion.

All in all there were two groups of first graders, each with two classes in them, they each worked for 45 minutes non stop and there were absolutely no issues with the classes while they were there (I wish I could say the same for the P.E. classes I was in charge of for the day).

I guess the takeaway here is that there are so many different ways to educate kids. P.E. programs are getting cut across the nation because they don't teach kids what "they" want the kids to learn. I wonder if taking an approach like this would help kids gain a bit more self respect, self control, and respect for authority, not to mention a good solid work out. I'm just going through all of the really good things this can bring to our kids and the list keeps getting longer. I would LOVE to see more programs like this in our schools.

But before I get too political here, let me just say, this was one of the funnest things I have ever seen while I have been substituting.

-posted by Eric-
===================
Extra footage
===================





"Tie your arms...very good...if you move your arms you get push-up push-up"

Comments

girlsmama said…
That is one of the coolest things I've seen! I think a varied education is a marvelous thing. Not only does it expose the kids to different ideas and cultures, it makes the classroom time that much easier since they've gotten the energy out.
I LOVE that! Thanks for sharing it! Which school was this? We'll have to see if we could do something like this at the charter school!
Brooke said…
I love it. As I drove up to the school with Eric to drop him off for the day- I told him I think this was an old textile mill once and they probably secretly make the kids do some labor while they are there. But that's awesome about the karate- (Eric wouldn't let me know what was cool about his day until he posted it.) I totally know how 1st and 2nd graders act, and their focus was incredible.
Petersen Palace said…
Go Eric super jedi ninja master!!!!
Maxmomma said…
How cool! I am so impressed by this. I can totally picture little Jack in that group in a few years :). Awesome that you are subbing, Eric. I bet you don't need any tips, but I'll throw out what totally helped me when I would sub in the summers (don't we all love the value of some good ol' unasked for advice?!). I brought a treat for at the end of the day for if the class earned enough points throughout the day for being good, and I tried to greet them at the door to learn their names. There, that was it... you probably already knew those tricks anyway :) (Note, I did not use the word "anyways", as a good friend of mine taught me that there is no such word)

Oh, last advice- Brooke can tell you more about this, but "The behavior you attend to most is the behavior you reinforce"- so point out the good examples and reward them instead of correcting the negative behaviors happening (as a general rule, sure doesn't always apply). Okay, thanks for letting me post that. I feel better now :)- and, I bet you are an incredible sub. The kids have got to love you!

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....