Skip to main content

Amazing whole wheat kernal pancakes, floss and thanksgiving

While Jack is down a little nap I thought I would get caught up on a few blogging entries I have been meaning to post. First off I'll go in the opposite order of my title, so we'll start thanksgiving. We had a fantastic thanksgiving this year. (I don't have pictures, sorry!) We started by going on a date ourselves- something we haven't done very much because of our cute little Jack that was born five months ago.

We went to Twilight the movie- and then out to eat at the Tuscany in Salt Lake. Eric and I enjoyed the movie but we mostly enjoyed the girls screaming and whistling at the characters as they were introduced, such as Edward of course, Carlisle, and Jacob. It was hilarious. Then off to the Tuscany- with our restaurant.com $25 gift certificate. Well it was that or the Mayan, and we decided Italian more than Mexican- so we pulled up to this cute little cottage looking building with a sign out front that said valet parking $3.00. We asked if it was required and was told yes, so we said o.k. and got out of the car. Inside it was definitely a fine dining restaurant, and that's when Eric and I started hyperventilating that $25 probably couldn't even pay for half of one of our entrees. So we sat down RIGHT next to two other tables- (I was sharing the bench with my neighboring tables) looked at the menu, and saw that most of items were between $18 and $35 and started relaxing a little bit more. Well relaxing as much as you can with two tables that can hear EVERYTHING you say. What is it with fine dining and feeling like you can't even breathe without smothering the person next to you. Anyway, the table to our left was talking about something incredibly boring about finances and the economy- (which I do like talking about, they just seemed to be talking about it because they had to talk and didn't really care about it.) and the table to our right had a couple with their two 8 and 9 year old daughters where the mom started getting more drunk and louder thoughout the night, the dad didn't even say one word the WHOLE time we were there, and the girls at the end gave my favorite comment of the night when the mom asked if they wanted dessert one of the girls said yes, let's get creme broulee- and the other girl said in a whiney voice- no not the creme broulee. (As if every 9 year old girl is aquainted with creme broulee as much as a brownie.) So after about 20 minutes I felt confident enough to be able to talk to Eric and that the people around me didn't care, and all in all it was a very fun evening/date. (Thanks Jack's Stevenson grandparents for watching him!)

Thanksgiving day we went in the morning to see Eric's brothers and sisters in Lehi and play football with his and my brothers. Then later in the day we had a lovely dinner with my immediate family and grandparents only. I made two pans of yams and two pumpkin pies and an apple pie- all of which I had never made before- so it was a great learning experience. The food was delicious- and I sure love my family, so it was really fun. We then went to see Eric's family at his aunts house for a little more dessert. Friday we did a little Black Friday shopping- but I got up at 6:30 and went to Harbor Freight Company and Walgreens. I know excitement all around. We also had a baby shower in Provo for my cousin that just had a baby, and then when we got back we were able to do a temple session with my family. Saturday we had family pictures taken with my immediate family again- and then Eric got a haircut we had lunch at Pei Wei and then we spent the rest of the day with Eric's family. After that we went home and slept in our beds that night. It was a great weekend of fun and frivolity. Oh one of the things I enjoyed most about the whole experience was on Thanksgiving day Eric and I were driving back from his aunt's house we played the thankful game. One person would say something they were thankful for, and the other person would immediately have to respond with a different thing they were thankful for. The person that couldn't think of something fast enough lost. I have to say though we played for 30 minutes and neither one of us lost. It really got us in the thanksgiving mood though, and helped us realize we have been blessed so abundantly. And it helped us get creative for things we're thankful for, not the standard things.

Floss. So at the dentist office last August I was told by my dentist I needed to start flossing or I would have gum problems coming up in the next year or so. I haven't ever had a real cavity or any other teeth problems so flossing has never been something I have ever done but one week before I hit the dentist office. (One time I went to the dentist the hygenist praised me for my flossing habits. Feeling a little guilty I said I probably don't floss as much as I should- meaning like one week before i go in to the dentist- she responded by saying yes, sometimes I miss my morning floss as I'm running out the door. Wow, I feel good if I floss once a week, she feels bad if she misses one of her two a day flosses.) I decided to start flossing and I have to say I have flossed like a stallion these last few months, never really liking it, but I do it. This week Walgreens was having a sale where their Reach Ultraclean floss was $2/6 and then you would get $6 back in register rewards. (Which is like in-store credit.) Well I had a coupon for $1 off one ultraclean floss thing and some gift cards there, so I used $5 of those, and got $6 back. Not bad if I do say so myself. Free floss + $1- do it yourself. (The Reach ultra dental care toothbrush and floss was in this sale, make sure you get the right kinds or the register rewards won't print.) Anyway- I started using the ultraclean floss and I have to say I might not be able to go back to any other floss. Seriously. I am not getting paid to say this, but I ENJOY flossing with the ultraclean floss. Who says stuff like that? They enjoy flossing? Anyway it's an experience, try it yourself- and it's free this week- so go for it.

Last but not least. Whole wheat blender pancakes. My friend Kristi introduced me to them. They are DELICIOUS, are so healthy, EASIER than ANYTHING, and you don't need a wheat grinder to use your wheat from food storage. It takes seriously 5 minutes to make them. I have probably made these pancakes twice a week for three weeks now, and I don't see me getting sick of them in the near future. Use this link to get the recipe, I promise you’ll be thanking Kristi profusely for it the first time you try it. (I actually only use one egg, and it helps it be more of a pancake consistency for me rather than a crepe consistency.) A little side note, Kristi’s blog is HILARIOUS. Check it out from my sidebar- Kristi and Blaine to enjoy life a little more today.

Well I think that's good for a marathon post, don't you? Oh, except one more exciting thing- Jack rolled over by himself without any prodding or help from us for the first time yesterday! I will post a video soon, but our camera is lent out at the moment, so until then. Ta ta!

Comments

Kristi said…
Woohoo! I am glad you liked the pancakes!! We like them around here, and I'm tellin' ya once Jack moves past rice cereal and into the finger food stage of life he will love them too!

I was telling Eric yesterday on chat that I think you and I were meant to be bossom buddies : ) I wish we could have figured that out while we lived three blocks away from eachother!!

Do you guys see moving to Austin in your future... ;)
Unknown said…
What a fun read that was! You are nominated Deal Woman of the Year! I actually need to buy some more floss, so I'm gonna try that Ultraclean stuff. If you feel bad about flossing, don't anymore. I am the dentist's daughter, and yes my dad did always tell me to floss, but I'm the same as you. The habit is so hard to hold on to! Just because I'm the dentist's daughter, doesn't mean my gums won't be diseased and cause my teeth to all fall out. Ok. That's not how bad it is. I do floss, once in a while, just not everyday. Maybe It'll take me becoming a Hygenist or something to plant that habit deep within-not that I'm planning on it! Hopefully I can do it some other way.
Amy said…
Yeah - I do remember that dentist visit. I think Dr. Boseman asked me why I didn't floss as well as my sister...Lame. I have a huge gap in the back that food gets stuck in, though, so I have a little more push to floss regularly. I'm amazed that you started flossing. I wonder if it'll last...especially if you have to start paying $3 for the Ultraclean...
Brooke said…
The ultraclean is actually 3.74 regularly and you're right that will be a detriment to me in the future. Good thing I got two packages of the ultraclean to last me a good long while. And I have been flossing everyday since August thank you very much no faith that i can floss regularly more than one week, that's almost 4 months. Honestly.
Eric said…
I'm with you Amy. The ultimate Brooke dilemma - "should I do what I do what I 'should' do or should I do what is least expensive?"
Anonymous said…
Ha Ha! I don't think I really even understand what creme broulee is. Rich people...
And flossing, ugh, I HATE flossing. Hearing your story made me a little scared that I better start flossing too--I've felt safe because I don't have any cavities either.

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....