Skip to main content

Washington DC part 1

We left for DC the Tuesday before Thanksgiving right after lunch. If you can't tell we're all for our kids to sleep in the car for their naps. Our directions said it would take 7 hours, but I always forget to factor in "New York" time to that equation as it generally tacks on an extra 2 hours to get through the traffic there. But all in all we made it in about 10 hours including a stop off for dinner with the Wendy's dollar menu. The kids did remarkably well, and I am forever reminded what great kids we do have.

The directions to my aunt and uncle's house took us to right through the heart of DC. We didn't realize it until we looked to the left and Eric said "is that the Capital building?" And then we saw the Washington Monument, the reflecting pool and the Lincoln memorial. It was so cool, and got us stoked that we had made the trip down. We got to my aunt and uncle's house around 10, got the kids settled, chatted for a few minutes then went to bed.

The next morning we talked out a game plan for what to do in the next few days and it was here I started falling in love with Washington DC. EVERYTHING to do in DC is free. The zoo, the museums, the monuments, pretty much everything. My aunt and uncle live about 10 minutes from the Mall, making it even easier to zip in and out of attractions to put kids to bed or feed them lunch, etc. We decided to try out the air and space museum first since Jack loves rockets and airplanes right now. My Aunt Brenda offered to watch Avey during her nap so off we went.

The museum was amazing! There were sections on rockets and planets and satellites and airplanes and bigger airplanes and a kid's hands on section. Jack LOVED it, and the rest of the week he made everything into an "airplane or rocket". (His would "fly" his fork around at dinner, and other toys like cars and call them airplanes or rockets, it was really cute.)







Can you spot me three times in this picture?



We then went back "home" for lunch and to put both kids down for their afternoon nap. After they woke up we went to visit the monuments with Brenda, and feed some ducks.

Here's the Vietnam Memorial. Sorry, not a really great picture, but it was a pretty beautiful memorial.
Duck feeding. (Brenda's in the red coat in the middle of the kids. I realized we didn't get very many pictures of her because she was usually the one that took the pictures. So sorry you can't get to know her very much through these pictures, she's fantastic!)


Eating from Eric's hand.


Avey trying to enjoy it.
Jack trying to feed the ducks from his hand too but he was a
little too scared when the ducks got much closer than this.



Balancing the monument on his nose.


Yep, this is the place on the back of a penny.






An Einstein Statue. Eric and Jack had fun posing with it.


And that is the end of our first day in DC. More tomorrow!

Comments

Anna said…
I want to move there.

The end.
Maxmomma said…
What a fun adventure! I love that you guys are making the most of your time back east.
my sister just went there in august and she LOVED it. Lots and lots of walking and free stuff. Yeah
That is so cool! You are having so many adventures!
I love your pictures and insights. You comment on driving through the middle of the city was priceless.

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....