Skip to main content

Avey's First Freckle

Avey got her first freckle, and being the over-thinking dad that I am I couldn't help think about what that means.

Avey's growing up and growing different. Before she was just a baby that looked around the world and wondered what it meant; now, she is interacting with the world and getting a personality. I can start seeing the Aveyness in her. She is becoming a unique baby.

She woke up from a nap the other day while I was studying about personality traits in the workplace and whatnot. So after she woke up I decided to do a little observation to see what kind of a personality orientation she has (so begins the twisted life she will have with me as her father). I took her out of her crib and instead of giving her some toys like she normally gets I decided to just set her in my lap, facing me, and see if she wanted to play and talk with me. Within seconds she was twisting her neck around scanning anything in sight that she could get her hands on. That tells my overly-analytic mind that she might be a task oriented (vs. a people oriented) individual. Whether that ends up being her dominant personality trait, I don't know; suffice to say she is changing, she is learning, she is developing a different self than Jack did, a different self than Brooke did, and a different self than I did.

She is also, unfortunately, learning that life has pain and frustration associated with it. She is teething and that brings pain, she doesn't know what pain means, she just knows it hurts. She is trying to learn to crawl and that brings frustration, she doesn't know how to overcome frustration, she just knows she wants something and it doesn't come to her.

She is also learning what she likes to enjoy. We were at Six Flags last week and while Kristen and Brooke were on a ride Jack, Avey, and I were waiting outside the gate playing. Jack was running up and down a little hill which lead to and from Avey's stroller. Every time Jack would come in to sight of her she would let out a deep chortle laugh and she would reach out for Jack's face as he came close to her. Then Jack would run back up the hill out of site, and Avey would wrench her body back to look for his approach again. She loved the interaction with Jack.

And so it goes laughing, crying, learning, growing. For me, that first freckle is a welcome present from life. This world has accepted her and is now offering her the particular experiences and personality traits that will make her uniquely Avey; and in my opinion, that is a wonderful thing.

-Eric-
p.s. Avey, if you are reading this as a teenager and I'm being a bratty father to you, just remind me of your first freckle and I'm sure to cut you some slack, but don't get carried away with it ;).

Comments

Eric, what a profound insight into your little girl and life. Thank you for sharing it with us. By the way, your Dad splits the Myers-Brigs where it isn't supposed to split. I am both a j and p.
Brooke said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....