Skip to main content

Stevenson's in San Franciso

We will be posting about the rest of the month of June later but before I do I (Eric) wanted to share about our trip to San Francisco we just got back from last week.

My extended family had a reunion in the Bay area for the first time in I can remember. This is my grandpa's brothers and all their family, all in all it felt about 100 + people showed up. My aunt Cybelle, who planned the whole reunion, gave us a lot of free time to see the city (including a tour of Alcatraz which we did not go to). In addition we got to see a lot of their stomping ground in the cityand the University of Berkeley. It was a great chance to see some cousins, build some new friendships, and hang out with my sisters.

I will just start by saying that San Francisco is, by far, my favorite place to visit. Every time I drive into the city I feel at one with the energy and movement of the city. I love the hills and the breeze, the people and the sights, the history and the ports. Everything (except the expensive parking) is very dear to me.

Hope you enjoy some of our fun time with my family in San Francisco!

Just to stave off disappointment, we did NOT see the Golden Gate bridge, even when we were driving on it...the whole time it was fogged over.

We stopped off at a science museum in Eugene, OR with big duck on the outside, I guess for U of O


Kids chasing the geese and getting goose poo on their feet.

We took the scenic rout down to SF and boy did it pay off. The Redwood National Forest is everything I had hoped it would be. Stunningly beautiful trees and moments where we really got a sense of just how old this earth is. Simply magnificent.
A lot taller than expected.


Jack and Avey had some fun climbing the trees, not sure what Ellie's emotion is here.

When a tree falls in the forest it will be climbed by children.

Every once in a while they all do look at the camera during a good photo op.

Taking the scenic rout had one down side, we tried to find a camp site and google maps took us to this "camp site" that turned out to be a state prison. You can't see it in the picture (cause it was 11:30 at night with no light for 3 miles) but there is a sign that says state correction facility. Read the other signs and you will get the sense of why we did not stay at any camping sites near there...very creepy.

We stayed at this $60 inn instead, it was a dive, driving up at midnight and having a lot full of questionable people didn't make us feel much better than the prison. But we got a good sleep, and it was a nice adventure.

This was the Pez museum in San Fransisco (San Bruno technically if you ever (and you should) want to look it up. Need I say more?

The Pez tour in a 10X25 foot room filled with every Pez dispenser ever created. The guy in the corner has a passion for these things, and he knows his stuff.

It was also Lego heaven for Jack.

Store owner with the biggest functional Pez dispenser in the background.

Here are some pictures of our day in San Francisco. Really a great city and a fun time. Brooke, Ellie, and I got into the Pier before the rest of my family so we got some time to ourselves walking around the pier.




My new Facebook cover art. I love this picture.

A view of the city from the pier.

Fun family pict with Alcatraz and a big shipping tanker floating by.



This was Brooke's favorite stop in San Francisco- a mini beach on a curving alcove, so fun for the kids and peaceful for her.

Hanging out a Ghirardelli Square. Nice atmosphere.

Tired kiddos by a fountain.

Fun (and delicious) little Fish 'n Chips place on the pier.

After a long day in the city we have burnt faces and warm jackets on...only in San Francisco!

On our way back we traveled in less than legal seating due to the fact we missed the last ferry out. The kids were knocked out before we hit the Bay Bridge.

The next day we met as a family at a church in Berkeley for breakfast and to head out on our respective tours of the city. Brooke and my sisters went to the kids fun stuff and I set out with some of my family members on the driving tour of the city. I'm glad I did, and the kids had fun with their aunts.



 "Wait, how do you get around this Berkley place"

View of the city from atop one of the hills in Berkeley.  Brooke's van got lost on the way to the train, but they were so grateful because they got to see this beautiful view of the city first.


Kids at a petting zoo. The kids ALL loved feeding the animals.

The backyard of my uncles (maybe cousins?) yard they fixed up. great place. This is my tour group with Baki (my grandpa) Julia Graden, Christine (her yard), Dee and Bev Stevenson (Baki's brother), Chris Stevenson, and Rod and Jolyn Stevenson (not sure where Rod slunk off to).

Us looking over the same hill as the kids.

My main man and me looking over UC Berkeley. His brother Lynn was a physicist here and was in the group that discovered a series of subatomic particles that won the Nobel Peace prize.

Fun HDR shot of the campus.

I asked where the most shameless, touristy picture I could get would be on Berkeley campus, they said it was right hear by the Sather Tower.

Inside the Berkeley civic center was the pool that reminded me of the Hearst Mansion pool. I found out later it was designed by the same person. She also, according to my uncle/cousin Conrad, designed the LDS chapel we ate breakfast in.

My cousin/uncle Conrad repairs old Alpha Romeos for a living. He let us see his shop...amazing.



That night Brooke and I saw Comedy of Errors at Cal Shakes, a fun outdoor theater.  (Thanks for the tickets mom and dad!)

The next morning we met with the family at the Oakland Temple and said goodbye until we meet again.
I love to see the temple, especially with my family.

And this pretty much sums up our 10 hour drive back...not the scenic route.  But we made it back safe and sound, so grateful for so many great memories.

Comments

Your presence helped enhance our reunion. The pictures just helped us relive the joy your and your children brought to so many people. I must confess, that I also love the picture of Ellie marching along in front of Alcatraz Island, Avey & Jack in all the pictures, and the signs of the state "Camp Site". I'm surprised you didn't get a shot of the most dangerous toys ever built at the PEZ museum.
What a fun trip! Your kids are so cute and getting so big!

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....