Skip to main content

September recap

Fall, my favorite time of year.  But I can't say September really had a lot of "fall" weather.  Which reminds me to say since this is my journal of sorts, I think the seasons are shifting.  It gets cooler later in the fall.  August seems to just hang out on the hot summer button, and September doesn't really start cooling down into sweater weather like normal.  (For the past two falls at least!)

I have been trying to be present in the moment living life more and not taking as many pictures when we do things so I don't just do things to think of how this will look on our blog.  But I do love that my blog is my journal, and that it has pictures to look at to also help me remember our life better at each stage, so I have been working on finding a balance between the two.  That is the reason for blogging less in general from me lately.

I love structure and schedules, so September and fall time is especially great for me because usually people start getting more into routines and life isn't as spontaneous everyday.  We started our music classes, which I teach on Thursdays.  Two classes in the morning for 2-4 year olds and two classes in the afternoon for 4-6 year olds.  Jack and Avey go to my morning classes, and then Jack attends one of my older classes.  It has been SOOO much fun!  I love all the kids that come and that I get to teach my kids with a quality music program. Win win win!


On Tuesday mornings we babysit our neighbors since their mom watches my kids on Thursdays when they aren't participating in my music classes.  Jack and Avey love it, and it works out great for everyone!

We also started Joy School with Jack.  It was kind of last minute getting it put together, and we only have three boys in the class, but I love the curriculum and the values we are learning, and it's really easy to manage the class with such a small group, so it's not overwhelming to teach at all.  I also love that Avey gets to sit in on the class when I teach.


We rode the train into downtown Portland one Friday night.

 The kids rode on the random animal statues that were found up and down the street.



 We wish we had brought swimming suits or a change of clothes to jump in the water.  It was a gorgeous night, and would have been so fun for the kids!


We let them walk around a little bit in the water at least.

 We promised the kids ice cream on our adventure, but I couldn't pay $3 for one scoop of ice cream, so we bought a carton at a store on the way home, I made homemade chocolate sauce, Eric made some waffles, and we put homemade strawberry jam on top.  It pretty much was divine, and the kids LOVED it, almost as much as we did!

 It was dress like a pirate get a free box of Krispy Kreme day a few weeks ago, so Jack and Eric dressed like pirates and Avey dressed like Tinkerbell and I came along for the ride, and we got 2 dozen free donuts.  We gave a bunch away, don't worry.

One Saturday afternoon we saw it was clear and sunny at the beach so we decided to drive down to play for a few minutes and see the sunset.



 I pretty much just sat in this chair and watched the waves the whole afternoon.  I LOVE just watching the ocean, it's so calming and purifying for the soul.

 Avey's smile within the smiley face.


 This little girl cracks me up.  Her face is awesome here.

 Love these boys!

 We took our shoes off where the sand started by the stairs and I loved how they ended up.

 Unfortunately clouds rolled in about twenty minutes before the sunset, so we didn't get to see much of a sunset, but it was still a FABULOUS evening, and I love that we live an hour and a half away from the beach!


We met Eric at his work downtown one Friday night and ate dinner at these amazing fountains, and then went to the Portland Museum of Art for their fourth Friday free night.










 The kids did exceptionally well at the art gallery, and I love that my kids are getting a little older with a little longer attention spans so we can enjoy things like this together.


One of their rewards for doing well in the gallery is they got to take pictures of art on our phones.  This is one Jack took of Eric.  I love art galleries.

Ever since our library started offering a cultural pass to see the Air and Space Museum for free Eric has been dying to go there.
 This is the Spruce Goose and is super ginormous.

 Eric knew once he saw it in person no picture could ever do it justice.

They also had an awesome kids play area, that was fun for adults too!

 This is the SR-71 blackbird, and the best plane ever according to Eric.  It's a high altitude stealth plane.

The kids loved riding this carnival type airplane ride several times.


 They had an amazing playground area in the shape of a rocket, helicopter and an airplane.

 It was a super fun day and I'm so glad we got to go and for free!

Comments

*Aliese* said…
The SR-71 Blackbird IS a cool plane. :) There's also one on display at Hill Air Force Base.
Andrea said…
What a great place to live! Jeremy and I would love to end up in the Northwest after he is done with school. Portland is looking really appealing :)

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....