Skip to main content

Just some thoughts


I have been studying my scriptures lately with this new scripture journal idea. (Found via Anna on Pinterest.) And. it. is. the. best. idea. ever. seriously. I got my little composition notebook, and glued some fabric onto the outside (super crafty for me) and then went to work writing out the topics and page numbers. I am addicted to my scripture study now, and I want to study for longer than my 30 minutes I have planned out everyday. And sometimes I do take longer. (And like today I realized I needed to eat lunch and so was going to get it but got too involved in my scripture study that when I remembered I didn't want to stop my studying to get it, but waited until I was done studying. That's how awesome studying scriptures is for me right now.)

I love as I read my scriptures to think what doctrine or principle could I put this thought or this scripture under, and that sometimes I put a scripture or thought under a topic like adversity and I automatically more scriptures and quotes pop in my head that I go searching for, and that give me more insight into my life and how Heavenly Father is blessing me and helping me right now.

The Red Headed Hostess who wrote about this scripture study method said "I don’t care about [my kids] inheriting the things I have shoved into my backpack when traveling in far nations. I care about this. Then when I’m not around anymore, I can still help them."

Isn't that awesome?

Also, I have been thinking about my life and the trials and challenges I am facing right now. I have had one particular challenge for awhile now, 9 months to be exact, and I don't see an end in sight at the moment. I realize I can do anything positively and cheerfully for about 3 or 4 months. Then I start to unravel a bit and struggle more when I don't know when the trial is going to end. (Just like when I know my run is going to end in 1 mile I can keep up pushing hard for that last mile, but if I have no idea when it will end, I start to drag my feet and struggle much more, even IF I only have a half mile left to go.)

However, in this particular trial I got to a point where I thought, I can complain about this now. It has been going on long enough, and I don't need to "hold it in" or "pretend my life is perfect" a minute more.

And you know what happened? I was sad and onery and upset, and had less energy, and I was making people's lives miserable around me, and the trial was still there.

Then I got the opportunity to go to Education Week, something I am crying about right now because it was what I needed more than anything else, and my mom and mother - in - law gave me the gift to go by taking my kids for four days. That's a lot of charity I tell you. And two of those days Avey was sick.

Anyway by the end of the four days, I felt like my old happy want to live the gospel self again. I felt more inspired and more inspiration directly from God about my life on that first day than I had any of the other weeks I had attended Education Week before. I got off my high horse of my life is hard and I'm tired of living it, and onto the well this trial is not going away, there's nothing I can do to change it, so let's go full force and be a blessing in other people's lives and look for what is going great about my life right now, and surround myself with the spirit as much as possible. Read ensign talks, get a better scripture study method, and really gain a testimony that God really does love me perfectly and "will not require me to experience a moment more of difficulty than is absolutely needed for my personal benefit." (CR Ensign Nov. 1995, Richard G. Scott Trust in the Lord)

Oh, and did I mention also that I had to stop trying to fix it and figure it out on my own, and that I needed to accept and feel ok asking and receiving help from others. And knowing that it will just take a miracle for this to end. A miracle straight from God in the right time. I like to figure out and work hard and overcome problems all on my own, so to completely give my life and trials over to Him is a constant theme in my life, and I think His goal is to help me realize over and over again that in the end we still fall short, and the miracle of the atonement is what covers that gap for us.

Anyway, I am much more at peace about life now. Did I say anything changed about my trial? No. Do I have any idea when it will end? No. Do I still have to remind myself when things get rough that it's o.k. because I still feel peace from Heavenly Father which means our family is on the right path, and ultimately that's the most important thing in our lives anyway? Yes.

So will I make it through? Yes. I am so grateful for all my friends and family that are super patient with me right now. I am so happy it is the fall my favorite season of the year, that it is so helpful to get me in good spirits and remind me of the beauty of the earth and how to slow down and enjoy life. Just go sit outside and smile for three minutes, I promise it will lift your spirits. :)

Comments

Thanks for this. I go through ups and downs of scripture study, but for a long time it seems that my goal has just been to make sure I at least open my scriptures every day and don't fall asleep in the first five minutes. May the Lord continue to bless you with peace in your trials! I love you!
*Aliese* said…
LOVE this. Thanks for sharing!
Becca said…
Can I say how grateful I am to have you as my older sister? You're such a champ!
Hksedwick said…
Brooke, You are amazing. I really think I need to read this right now. My scripture study has been lacking...I need direction. I am going to look into this method. Also, your attitude on trials and dealing with them is so strong. I sure hope things work out soon for you, but it sounds like you are going to right direction for coping.
haley said…
Sister! okay, I'm not your sister, but I wish I was! Loved this post. Thanks for your insights. Sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders.
Maxmomma said…
Love you Brooke. You are a gem in every sense of the word. Really love you.
Andrea said…
Thanks, Brooke! This is just what I needed, just like a swift kick in the pants ;)
Thank you, Thank you!
emiflute said…
Thanks Brooke for sharing your insights. This helps me to feel motivated to seek inspiration for my trials too, rather than just sit and wallow in self pity or complain to someone else about them. I hope all is well with your family. You kids are getting so big. They are so adorable! Love ya!

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....