Skip to main content

Pacifier going away party

With Jack turning three next month, we knew it was time to say goodbye to his pacifier for good. We were planning on getting rid of it earlier, but we had a 7 hour plane ride to get through in December, and then with our life being so up in the air, I didn't want to make too many changes in Jack's life at once. Knowing we were going to Disneyland at the beginning of May, I knew I wanted it for the car and to take good easy naps on the trip, but we should be done with it after that.

Sooo, for weeks leading up to our Disneyland trip I prepped Jack. I told him after Disneyland we were going to have a big party and tie his passie to a balloon and let it go in the sky and we would say good-bye to it. He understood really well what was going to happen by the time the big day rolled around.

We weren't sure if we were going to also let Avey's go as well, but I finally decided we would just lose hers too since it wasn't helping that much at church, and I was afraid Jack would go in her crib and smother her in her sleep to steal her passie. So I tried to prep Avey, but she had no clue what was going to happen or what was going on when the big day arrived.

We made a big deal of going to the store and choosing a balloon to tie his pacifier to. He chose two balloons - Elmo and Mickey Mouse. (So we could have one balloon after we let the other ones go.) And Avey chose a princess balloon. ***In case you're wondering, the cheapest mylar balloons are at Dollar Tree for $1. Honks doesn't even have them for $1, they're $1.25- and the Party stores are crazy at like $3.15 each for the smallest ones. But then if you need other latex balloons they are cheapest at the party store, .59-.75 each, while they are $1 each still at Dollar Tree and Honks. Just to save some of you time in case you need some cheap balloons. Hi Float doesn't make balloons lift up higher, just last longer, just some random fyi**

After dinner we tied the pacifiers onto the balloons and brought them outside. A gust of wind took Avey's balloon out of my hands and up and away before we officially let it go. That surprised Jack and made him even more apprehensive of actually letting his go. He kept asking Eric to let go for him but daddy told him that he had to do it. It took him about 7 minutes to finally let go.




Posing for the bye-bye pacifier party.


He kept saying I can't do it, I can't let it go. He was really processing what was going on, and was so sad about the whole thing. Finally he and Eric let go of the balloon together and we watched it go up high.


He kept saying, Buzz bring it back to me. And we kept telling him that Buzz would not bring it back, it would be gone forever. I truly think this was the first time he had to process permanently saying goodbye to something. It was so sad it was inspiring.



Then we came inside to eat ice cream and cookies, because this was a party- right? :)

I wish I could say they cried it out one or two nights and they were good to go, but it has been pretty hard going cold turkey on these kiddos. Jack has been sleeping three hours less than usual, and Avey since she had no idea what was going on, was sad everytime we put her down for a nap or bed for two weeks. They are finally getting more settled though, and we're trying to decide if Jack doesn't need a nap now that he doesn't have a pacifier, or if he still needs one and is sleep deprived, and we just need to give it another week or so to get back on his schedule. We moved their bedtime up to 8 PM, to help them be a little more tired, and finally after almost three weeks they are getting a little better.

Comments

Anna said…
Oh Jack -- to love something so much as you love your paci!!

Everly is so addicted...I dread the day we say goodbye. I doubt we'll do it at age 2...she's so hard I'll do anything to make sleep/naps easier.
That's a big step! What a fun way to do it though! I am dreading the day we get rid of Andrew's, which really should be soon. We are waiting till after we move in a month or so.
HappyDay_KT said…
Oh :(
I actually cried reading this.
CrAzYfUnFaMiLy said…
BROOKE YOUR SO CREATIVE! AN AWESOME :)

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....