Skip to main content

Resolutions

So I know the rest of the world does their resolutions at the beginning of January, but I kind of like to announce mine at the end of the month. Then, when people are throwing their resolutions by the wayside, I feel like I am just starting mine, so they don't seem old and stale.

And my birthday is at the end of the month, so it's kind of like my last ditch effort to finish and start other resolutions before I start another year of age. (I had an awesome birthday by the way, when I get my pictures from the day I will let you know what we did and I know you'll all be jealous you aren't married to the most amazing husband and have the best friends and family ever. Best birthday ever, seriously.)

Here are the goals we had last year:

1. Go to a museum every month

2. Read books together (one a quarter)

3. Brooke- be successful and feel confident in breadmaking abilities.

4. Eric- cut refined sugar out of diet for 3 months.

5. Make the most of time here in Mass- Go to Cape Cod, Washington DC, Boston and New York again, and visit an amusement park.
6. Start a toddler music class

7. Eric get a job. :)


So you're asking, how did we do with these goals?


Awesome actually.


I think we were really close to visiting a museum every month.

We read the books together- besides Eric not quite finishing The Millionaire Next Door, we read the Culprit and the Cure, and A Perfect Mess. Both books we highly recommend to everyone.

I feel successful in my breadmaking abilities now- and the new food processor I got for Christmas also can help with the dough.

Eric- did cut out refined sugar from his diet for 3 months

We went to Cape Cod, DC, Boston and New York. And had season passes to Six Flags.

Eric got 2 jobs, just not the full time experience he was hoping for.

And I started a toddler music class.


Highlights of 2010-

1 - Eric finished classes at Springfield College- Masters Program

2 - Visiting Washington DC

3 - Visiting New York with our friend Dave

4 - Matt getting married

5 - Moving back to Utah

6 - Eric turning 30

7 - Falling in love with New England weather especially the spring.

8 - Visiting Cape Cod- and the Atlantic Ocean!

9 - Sailing with the Hollands

10 - Getting to know the people in Massachusetts- they rock!

2011 is a different year for us. We feel like our life is very up in the air- aka no job for Eric yet, we don’t know where we’ll be in 3 months let alone what we could accomplish once we get there, (for example financial goals are a little tricky not knowing how much money will be coming in) but here’s what we came up with for now irregardless of where we will be.

1. Start saving for retirement again. After Eric got laid off his job a year and a half ago, we stopped putting into our Roth IRA and mutual investments. We haven’t taken any of that money OUT yet, but we haven’t put any in since then. So definitely as soon as he gets a job, we will start putting money back into this.

2. Build up our emergency fund- at least $1000 within three months of working and hopefully 3 months savings by end of the year.

3. Read 3 more books together. (We loved this goal last year!) One a marriage book, crucial conversations, and a fictional book together. Any suggestions on the marriage or fiction book?

4. Brooke- read two books a month and study a new subject (like I did last year with my art book)

5. Visit 3 national parks this year, one outside of Utah.

6. Oh, and of course Eric getting a real job.


I read an awesome article that Janice Kapp Perry wrote on goals a few weeks ago that is super inspiring if you haven't set any goals for yourself yet. Here are two quotes from that.


Goethe said


"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence meets you. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would come this way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now."

And also Elder M. Russell Ballard has strongly stated,

"I am so thoroughly convinced that if we don’t set goals in our life and learn how to master the technique of living to reach our goals, we can reach a ripe old age and look back on our life only to see that we reached but a small part of our full potential. When you learn to master the principle of setting a goal, you will then be able to make a great difference in the results you attain in this life…If you want to have success in the goal-setting process, you learn to write your goals down. I would even put them in a prominent place…Spend your energies doing those things that will make a difference."

So that's what we're doing. Writing our goals down, and having you keep us accountable for these goals. I also wrote a list of 27 goals for my 27th year, but since I have already made this post long enough, I will just say next year I will let you know how I did with those.

It's really exciting to see goals in writing and official. It's like the spiritual creation of accomplishing something has happened, and I am already on the road to being a better, happier and more fulfilled person. Like living life with purpose rather than just being swayed with whatever happens to you. Anyway, I love it, and I'm so glad to be starting the process for 2011.

Comments

*Aliese* said…
If you haven't read the 5 Love Languages book, it's a great relationship one. Also, my FAVORITE is actually a lecture (we've listened to it numerous times) I think it's by John Lund.
Heather said…
You should go to Yellowstone for your out of state National Park!!

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....