Skip to main content

Jack and Daddy Adventures

I've had some great chances to get out with Jack this summer...great blessing. We had two fun outings we were particularly thrilled about: sailing and camping.

Sailing
I know what you are thinking, and believe me the excitement is just like the movie (luckily nobody had to tie Jack or me to the stern, we did pretty well by ourselves). But sailing is so amazing, you should definitely put it on your bucket list. Jack and I got in the boat with our friends Brendon and Herb (pictured below). Brendon motored us out to the spot where we were ready to set sail and, with our vector set, we let loose the canvas, cut the engine, and away we went!

I didn't have a cool sailor hat though...note to self.

It is something else being out in the ocean, with no loud motor
running, and chopping through the ocean going 25-30 mph (21 knots). You feel the dynamics of the open water a lot more than any other boat I've been on. They even let me steer the boat, it's CRAZY how much the ocean tries to fight you. I even got to change the course of the boat to turn completely around, which is more intense than you might think.

Jack had an excellent time as well. He got to be with his best friend Brendon and he loved sticking his hands in the water and leaning over the side (with supervision of coarse). It was a great experience for the both of us. Brooke got to go to, but she was on a different boat and didn't take the camera with her. Enjoy the picts.

Jack Sparrow wears braids and boots, Jack Stevenson wears a goofy hat and an Elmo life jacket.

King of the world with Jack's favorite person Brendon (wasn't the guy on Titanic named Jack too?).

Did I mention the boat was moving about 30 mph? Jack the fearless pirate.


Camping
Jack, morning-camping person...dad, not so much.

As it turns out, Jack is an amazing camper. I had the opportunity to go on a camp out with the scouts in our ward and thought it would be a great time for Jack, so I brought him along. Brooke said that the entire day Jack was walking around the house saying "daddy?...camping?" even though he had NO idea what camping even meant. When I got home he ran up to me and said "YAY! Daddy, camping!" I was a bit worried because of all the dangers associated with a toddler and camping but he handled them all like a champ.

When we got there I noted right away that there were a lot of tree roots, rocks and stuff in the camp site. The ground was really uneven too, almost like it was the wilderness or something. Naturally, I worried how Jack was going to handle walking around it all, but he negotiated the terrain like a pro. He was running and jumping and exploring all over the place and didn't have too many falls, and when he did fall down he jumped right up, brushed himself off, and continued on his merry way. He even helped gather fire wood with all the boys. He did a super job with the fire and making sure to stay clear enough to keep from getting hurt and close enough to keep from becoming a boring non-pyro.

And best of all...s'mores. As far as I can remember this was the first time Jack had s'mores, and he loved them. Think about it: chocolate, graham crackers, and marshmallows cooked over a camp fire, could a kid possibly get a better treat? I submit that you cannot! (*said in Brian Regan voice). Let it suffice to say Jack loved it, and mom wasn't there so we ate a lot of s'mores (as you can see by Jack's chocolate-mallow-dirt mouth in the pict below).

Then, we went to bed and Jack slept like a rock. He slept through the whole night and woke up ready and willing to explore in the morning (more ready and willing than dad, because he stayed up till 2 a.m. talking with "the guys").

All in all we had a really fun time. Jack was made for the outdoors. I can't wait till we can go together as a family...hint hint Brooke ;) Enjoy the picts.
-Eric-

Collecting twigs for the fire

"Dad, why are we taking this picture when there is a melted marshmallow on this ready to eat?" (Evan cameo)

We found a beautiful lake in our morning exploring adventure.


Awe, my little pyro.

Amazing, Jack climbed up this rock by himself and then his friends Bronson and Gavin joined him.

Horray for camping!!!

Comments

We're ready to go camping when you come. Sailing has been on my bucket list for 20 years. I know a friend who will rent us his boat on Utah Lake, not like the ocean, but available. We could sail the Pacific when you get a job on the west coast.
Brandon said…
Very cool stuff. We went camping with Mandi's family back in August, and whenever we read a book of Scott's where Little Critter goes camping, he says stuff like, "We made a tent, too!" and "We had a fire, too!" Kids are fun.
Anna said…
So fun for you and Jack! And I bet Brooke and Avey enjoyed quiet girl bonding time at home :)
Maxmomma said…
Looks so fun! I am impressed that Jack got to be careful around the fire... Can he teach mine? I love that you took him along- sweet times.
Criscell said…
Those are some awesome pictures! I would love to go sailing someday and as for camping, what's a summer without it?!

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....