Skip to main content

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun).

At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born.
She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length.
She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition.

*We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne.

This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30.

We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, and walked in right as the big stuff was coming. by big stuff I mean the hard pains. Brooke was screaming politely asking for an epidural because the pain was coming strong and it was coming FAST.

By the time the epidural came Brooke's doctor (who happened to be on call and was going to be gone the rest of the week) told her to start pushing. Brooke decided to take the opportunity to practice her voice techniques she learned in school. The pitch and volume she was able to reach would impress even the best opera singers. This was 11:48 p.m.

...and the epidural wasn't working yet.

After 12 minutes of hard pushing Avey was born...total labor from start to finish - about 2 hours.

...about 10 minutes AFTER Avey was born, the epidural started working.

After Avey was born she would only cry intermittently and only when it was necessary to breathe, she is just pleasant (the above picture is one of the rare times we caught her crying).

Brooke was simply amazing (though I'm sure she would tell you otherwise). For all intents and purposes she had this baby natural. Her experience was painful but, like all pain in life, we do much better than we think we are doing, and Brooke was doing amazing even though she felt otherwise while she was giving birth.

After a night's rest (well, almost rest) Jack came over and met his new baby sister and the bond between them was evident right away.

He loves to hold her and, with the exceptions of a poke in the eye every now and then, he is very gentle with her.



More Jack and Avey pictures, the beginning of a wonderful friendship.


Pullin' the shades over Avey's eyes

A subtle poke in the eye
(sorry to say it Avey, but you might need to get used to it).


"Is this crib strength up to OSHA standard?
This is my sister we're talkin' about."

"But mom you said she was my sister, I wanna hold her."

We feel blessed, Avey is everything we hoped in a new baby girl. She has already brightened our day and has made us feel loved. We also feel blessed that everything happened in such a way as to help Brooke have as pleasant of an experience as possible.

Enjoy more of our new baby girl, Avey...we know we will.



no, we didn't just get an old picture of Jack and put it here...it's really her!
Brooke, Avey and Dr. Mikich
(Avey came in EXACTLY the right window
for the doctor and Sharon to be there.)




"ok, you can stick your tongue out this once."

If you look closely you can see her little hospital band.


The knights and the new princess.

Thanks all!!!
-posted by Eric-

Comments

Maxmomma said…
Oh, she is SO PRECIOUS!!!! CONGRATULATIONS, what an angel! I am bursting over here- I may have to just call you. I'm almost in tears, she is so wonderful.

Congrats you guys! Brooke- you are a trooper- I'm impressed with you and proud of you for going through that pain (that I have yet to experience).

Welcome to the world Avey- it's going to be a great place with your family.
Tams Family said…
We are so happy for you! I'm glad everything went well.
Jackie said…
She is gorgeous and perfect. Just adorable. Congratulations, you guys! And YAY for fast labors. :-)
haley said…
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! She is so BEAUTIFUL! Brooke, I told you it was going to go fast! I can't believe the epidural didn't come in time. Bless your heart. I love that she liked the head washing. Mitchell absolutely screamed during that part. Yeah for her coming at 12:01am, that is awesome! Congrats again, I am so happy for you all!
Kristi said…
Congratulations! She is beautiful and I am so glad everything worked out alright, I am only slightly disappointed that she was born a day early ; ) We're so excited for you guys!
Unknown said…
What an amazing time frame. She knew exactly when to come! I'm glad you and Grandma didn't miss her arrival.

She is so so adorable. I love her cheeks and beautiful facial features. Those pictures with Jack meeting her are so precious. I remember doing that with each of ours. The spirit is so strong at those moments.

Congratulations guys. Take care.
Anna said…
I can't get over those chubby cheeks! I wish we were there to come visit and congratulate you!

And I am so glad that Sharon could be there, ESPECIALLY since the epidural didn't kick in in time.

We miss you guys!

So exciting. I can't wait to meet Avey.
Kate said…
Congrats Brooke and Eric! You have two beautiful children. By the way, I know your cousin, Jared W Stevenson. He is in my ward out here in UT
Becky Knowles said…
Congratulations! She's darling. I'm so glad that your mom made it. PS I had a really fast labor this last time too, and it was scary, but thank goodness the epidural kicked in right before pushing started. I'm so proud of you for doing it without (even if you didn't want to.)
*Aliese* said…
Aw, so precious!! I love the video clip with Jack and Avey. He's already so protective of her and that's wonderful. He simply beams! It's great. Congrats, you guys!
girlsmama said…
Congratulations! I am so happy that the timing was perfect. That is always nice. She was a big baby! Way to go Brooke!

I vote JoAnn. That is Leah's middle name! :)

All our love! The Ribbles
Mandi said…
Oh, oh, oh, she is just adorable as can be! She looks just like my cute little Cabbage Patch baby I had growing up. Congratulations Brooke, for getting through a scary-fast birth without the pain relief you were expecting! :) Way to go! And great job supporting, Eric, Jack, and Sharon. Thanks for posting all the pictures and video, Eric. Love it! I vote JoAnne, too.

Happy babymoon, everyone! :)
emiflute said…
Yay! I am so happy for you. She is beautiful! I enjoyed the videos especially. Jack still looks like a baby himself (that's a good thing). To see him hold her so much and be so interested in her was precious. Take care you two. It sounds like all went very well and many blessings were poured out. Congrats!
Anonymous said…
Congratulations! She is so sweet! I love the pictures of her and Jack. yay for short labor--too bad the epidural kicked in late. I'm so happy for you!
The Morgans said…
Congratulations. She is beautiful and way to go Brooke!! You rock!

Kandice & Troy
Andrea said…
What a beautiful little lady!!! Contrats!!!
Thank you, thank you for all for the great pics and videos. I love that you put so many up for us to see. Wonderful!!

Here are the props to Brooke!!! Been there, done that. It is hard, isn't it? And, I was expecting it! Right afterward, I said I wouldn't do it again, but I have forgotten (of course) and am planning on going natural the next time around.
You are an amazing woman, Brooke!!
Wow! Natural birth. I am so amazed by Brooke. She is so awesome. Avey is amazing. Congrats. I am happy for the pictures. I can't wait to get Brooke's perspective on going natural.
Petersen Palace said…
yay! Congrats! okay true story coming...I picked up the phone the other day to call and check up on you, but...I had the feeling the baby might be on the way so I decided to wait for the blog post. She is beautiful and way to go for all natuale! Do you feel like an empowered woman? Because you should! We love you guys! :)
Jenny said…
Congratulations!
Melissa Snyder said…
She is beautiful. Congtratulations!!!! What a sweet little family you have. Merry Christmas!
Diane said…
BIG CONGRATULATIONS! She is such a cutie! Are you bringing her home at Christmas? We want to do a party with everyone and we would love to meet her!
Team Clark said…
HEY! Congrats! And wow - what a crazy night you guys had, huh? Brooke - I'm so proud of you for making it through that! And I'm not surprised at all that you went so quickly since you were already dilated half way there!
And your haircut is darling.
You're amazing and Avy is beautiful!
I hope you're doing well...we miss you and wish we could see you. See you soon!
Criscell said…
CONGRATS, Brooke!!! She is darling!! I'm so happy for you--and VERY impressed that you did it all without the epidural working. Way to go! Merry Christmas! It's so fun to have a Christmas baby.

Popular posts from this blog

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....