***update: we decided to go with Avey Kristine Stevenson***
I decided to fill in a timeline of my labor that my mom wrote out so those of you that care can see exactly how the labor went down for me.
Monday night December 7th
To sum up though, it was intense. The only way to deal with the labor was by vocalizing my pain which Eric mentioned and which was embarrassing for me, because then I felt out of control. I don't like feeling out of control. It was great having my mom and Eric there to help- they both were such incredible supports, but I think I prefer Jack's 14 hour labor to Avey's 2 hour labor if that sounds crazy enough.
HOWEVER, she is here! And she is delightfully snuggley. I really can't get enough of snuggling her, holding her, and loving her. Also in fantastic updates in her life- she doesn't have to go under the lights for jaundice! Her bili-levels were in the middle range for babies, and have stayed there consistently- so NO LIGHTS!!!! (With Jack having to be under the lights for over a week, this truly is a huge blessing for me.) She also is an incredible eater for not even being a week old yet, and she is super happy and content almost all of the time. I say almost all of the time because she is just like her daddy in that she HATES being cold, and so gets so mad when we change her diaper or clothes, because she is cold.
I am also loving Jack interacting with Avey. He loves her so much! Maybe a little too much my mom says. :) He always wants to hold her or look at her, or put toys in her crib to make her happy. At the hospital she was crying at one point and Jack ran and grabbed her purple blanket and brought it to her as if to say- my blanket makes me happy when I'm sad- this will make you happy! And then the first night we brought her home he heard her crying after he had been asleep for awhile and so he started crying. When my mom went into his room to figure out what was wrong, he stopped crying and started saying baby, baby, baby, as if he was the one that could help her not be sad anymore.
Here are some more pictures!
Our awesome nurse Michelle. We got her for both nights I was in the hospital!
There are so many fun things to do in a hospital, like play peek a boo with the curtains!
Avey's going home outfit- courtesy of the Hakes! It is seriously SOO cute! I also love her one eyed look right here, she does this all the time so I call her my little pirate.
I love this little coat on her, it is crazy cute. Thanks mom!
The wheelchair Eric got for me, but Jack got to ride on as I walked out of the hospital!
Our darling family
And again. :)
A common sight at our house, Jack on tippy toes looking for baby Avey and throwing things in her crib.
And Avey's first bath at home. Well, a sponge bath my mom gave her.
I decided to fill in a timeline of my labor that my mom wrote out so those of you that care can see exactly how the labor went down for me.
Monday night December 7th
9:40 My mom's plane arrives in Hartford 20 minutes early. Sharon calls Eric to come and pick her up. Eric calls Brooke and asks if she's in labor. "Nope not yet, have fun picking my mom up."
10:15 Brooke realizes she has had a few harder contractions in a row, she starts timing them.
10:30 Brooke calls Eric. "Just to let you know my contractions have been 4 minutes apart since 10:00 PM"- Brooke hangs up phone and the next contraction has her on the floor breathing through it.
10:42 Brooke calls Eric. 8 hard contractions since last call. "Hurry!" Panicky voice.
10:45 Eric and Sharon arrive at apartment in Springfield. Brooke greets them with, "We need to go to the hospital RIGHT now." Not how are you mom, or a hug because I haven't seen you for three months, but we need to GO!
11:00 Brooke, Eric, Sharon and Jack leave apartment for hospital.
11:05 Eric drops Brooke and Sharon off at hospital and drops Jack off at neighbors.
11:07 Registration clerk says, "I just need to ask you some questions and have you sign some papers before you can go back to be evaluated." Brooke answers, "Are you kidding me?"
11:12 Brooke taken to evaluation room. Asks for epidural! NOW!
11:15 Nurse checks Brooke. 7 centimeters! "Can I have my epidural?"
11:20 Eric returns. And at that point I wouldn't let him let go of my hand"NOW can I have an epidural?"
11:25 Brooke transferred to Labor and Delivery suite. Asks for epidural. NOW! (And the midwife that checked me came up in the elevator with us with an emergency delivery kit just in case I delivered in the elevator I found out from my mom later.)
11:30 Anesthesiologist appears and begins epidural process.
11:40 Epidural placed and medicine injected.
11:45 Dr. Mikich arrives. 9 3/4 cm! Dr. breaks bag of waters.
11:48 Time to push! "Why isn't the epidural working?!!!!????!!!!"
12:01 Avey arrives!!! December 8th, 2009
9 pounds 2 ounces. 21 inches long.
Red hair. Long toes and fingers. Cute cheeks! Really cute.
12:02 Dr. Mikich says, "I'm not on call anymore." Finishes up.
12:10 Epidural starts working.
12:15 Everyone is happy. Grandma was here. Dr. Mikich was here. Eric was here. Avey is here!
HOWEVER, she is here! And she is delightfully snuggley. I really can't get enough of snuggling her, holding her, and loving her. Also in fantastic updates in her life- she doesn't have to go under the lights for jaundice! Her bili-levels were in the middle range for babies, and have stayed there consistently- so NO LIGHTS!!!! (With Jack having to be under the lights for over a week, this truly is a huge blessing for me.) She also is an incredible eater for not even being a week old yet, and she is super happy and content almost all of the time. I say almost all of the time because she is just like her daddy in that she HATES being cold, and so gets so mad when we change her diaper or clothes, because she is cold.
I am also loving Jack interacting with Avey. He loves her so much! Maybe a little too much my mom says. :) He always wants to hold her or look at her, or put toys in her crib to make her happy. At the hospital she was crying at one point and Jack ran and grabbed her purple blanket and brought it to her as if to say- my blanket makes me happy when I'm sad- this will make you happy! And then the first night we brought her home he heard her crying after he had been asleep for awhile and so he started crying. When my mom went into his room to figure out what was wrong, he stopped crying and started saying baby, baby, baby, as if he was the one that could help her not be sad anymore.
Here are some more pictures!
Comments
Avey is adorable. I love her cute little outfits. Girls are so fun to dress.