Skip to main content

California here we are!

Saturday morning we headed out of our house at 6 AM to start our trek west. That sounds like we were in a handcart, but we were actually in a nice air conditioned van provided by Eric's parents- thanks! We stopped and picked my brother and sister in law up and nephew up at my parent's house and then continued on our way. Our 14 hour drive went far more smoothly than I even thought possible with two toddlers so that was great, and we only stopped a few times. Once at a really nice condo area that had a great playground in the middle of it. It didn't look like it got played with very much, so I'm sure the playground was happy to be played with. :)

Pictures from "illegal" playground
Pretty much Jack is the cutest kid EVER! (Check out the curly wisps of hair in the back, that will help you when you look at his hair cut pictures.)

Scott- posing for the camera
All Jack wanted to do at the playground was pick up the ground tires and drop them, or put them in his mouth. (photo courtesy of Eric, isn't he awesome!)

Then we got to Eric's uncle's house about 6 or so. It was great- they let us come right in and play in their pool and I really felt right at home. It was a little warm- but since this only happens 3 days out of the entire year- they didn't have any air conditioning, and so while Eric was dying, I was feeling just fine. (It felt like in the summer with a swamp cooler on, so I was fine)

We went to church with them the next day and the Oakland temple visitors center and then on Monday we went to the city. (There, Eric will be so proud that I called San Francisco the city rather than San Fran.)

We went to the Golden Gate Park and played on a carousel and an amazing kid park in there- although my favorite part was Jack chasing the birds that were all over. He never ended up catching one, but maybe next time!

Standing in front of the carousel

Jack loving the ride. When it stopped he kept pushing his body forward and on the horse to make it go again.

Scott- can I go on that one?

Jack loved this little toy at the playground- you sit in it and someone spins you.
It was pretty cool.

Jack
We then went to this restaurant that we were a little worried about at first. It looked like a dive. (we used a restaurant.com certificate so didn't see it before hand) but it had AMAZING chinese food- and I have to recommend it if you'll be in the area anytime soon. It was called Feng Shui, definitely a winner. Then we went back to his uncle's house played in the pool a little more and on their basketball court, put the kids to bed and then watched Seven Pounds.

The next day we headed out to Pismo to meet up with my extended family for their reunion. Funny enough the drive there was less than half the time- but it definitely seemed harder than the 14 hour drive with those two toddlers this time. We had a hotdog roast on the beach that night, and then played on the beach the next day. I did get in the water- and even was in it for 30 minutes or so jumping the waves, but I didn't ever get used to the water. Then after getting out there was a wind, and even after putting on all my clothes and moving around, I didn't really feel warm again until I took a hot shower. Northern Cali beaches, I don't know how you guys do it! Anyway it was still fun, and Jack had fun eating the sand.
That night we had a dinner at Marie Callenders provided by my grandpa. It had a great program about my grandma and then stories from the kids about growing up with her. More and more amazing I tell you- that's my grandma!

The next day Eric went to the Hearst castle and we went back to the beach (but I didn't get in the water this time) and then we hit the outlet stores for a little bit. Then we went to an amazing BBQ at my aunt's mom and dad's house. It was seriously amazing. The next day we hung out with my family a little more, and hit the stores one more time before heading back. We stopped over in Las Vegas to sleep for the night, (thanks Forrest and Kaarina) and then got back in Salt Lake around 4 on Saturday. We hung out with Eric's parents and family for the fourth of July- his sisters put on a great fireworks show! Sorry the end got a little crazy. Jack started needing his mom, and my computer is running out of batteries. It was really fun though, and maybe I'll post more pictures as time presents itself- but if not I think you got a good snapshot journal entry of the trip!

Comments

Maxmomma said…
That sounds so fun! I hate that we were in opposing states there, but I am so glad it was a nice trip. I just heard about Hearst Castle- what did Eric think? You were brave to do 30 min. in the northern ocean... it is cold!
*Aliese* said…
I love San Fran! ...And will always refer to it as San Fran... Pretty sure I could never call it "The City" after living back east; NYC will always be "The City." Glad you enjoyed your trip; it's making me anxious for my SoCal trip in two weeks.

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....