Skip to main content

Wisdom Teeth Wisdom

Yes, this is me. The second day after getting my wisdom teeth out actually. Not too badly swollen if I do say so myself. But no I will not get family pictures done looking like this. Although most of you have already gotten your wisdom teeth out- I thought I would instill some do's and don'ts I learned through this wonderful experience.

Do: Have your mom come and help you for the day. Well this is especially so if your mom is Sharon Barrus- it makes having your wisdom teeth out something you could do more than once in your lifetime. :)

Don't: Get your wisdom teeth out when you're nursing. You have to fast for 6 hours before the surgery- and you sign something that says you did it or the side effect could be DEATH. I know you think fasting 6 hours that's not too bad- but really it was from 11:30 PM the night before until 1:00 PM the next day that I had to fast. To you pregnant and nursing moms- you know this is hard. Needless to say I had chinese food the moment I came home because I needed nourishment- not some chicken broth or anything weak sauce like that.

Don't: Leave your car running the whole hour and a half that you're in the oral surgeon's office. (Especially when you have remember where your keys are 5 seconds after you wake up from being put to sleep.)

Do: Get knocked out!

Don't: Expect when you get knocked out that they will make you count down from 10 like you heard in everyone else's stories. (All they had me do is breathe deeply- and then I woke up and the first thing I said was- "You didn't have me count backwards from 10"- major disappointment. I hope I can get over it.)

Do: Realize when you get knocked out- it's not like a nap where you're conscious of the time that passes- I think I didn't really exist for 45 minutes. Much better than my friend though who didn't get knocked out all the way and the dentist found an extra wisdom tooth that he had to dig in and yank to get out needless to say she was traumatized for life. (And her recovery was two weeks- yikes!)

Don't: Do anything for 3 days.

Do: Have a husband who forces you to not do anything for 3 days. I couldn't go running or do yard work on Saturday- and I have to say it was fantastic for my recovery.

Do: Have Eric as your husband, he's fantastic

Don't: Have Eric as your husband- he's actually my husband.

Don't: Let Eric make you laugh when it hurts like hannah to smile.

Do: Enjoy the experience. You only get your wisdom teeth out once in your life. (Well unless you only get them out one or two at a time. Or they find a 5th wisdom tooth later in your life.)

Ta ta for now.

Comments

*Aliese* said…
Ick. I had mine out over Christmas Break of our Junior year of high school. I ate lots and lots of soup!
Kristi said…
I still have my wisdom teeth, too scared to get them out. That and I keep getting pregnant ;) Maybe someday I will get them out : )
Andrea said…
Wow! I am very impressed with your positive attitude. The anesthesia had a bad effect on me and I couldn't remember anything for a few hours, and could not keep anything down, then fainted a few times. Luckily, we were staying with my Mom (mother's really are life and sanity savers) so, she took care of Eden while Jer worked and i tried to convince her to knock me out again until it was all over. I am so relieved that your experience seems to have gone pretty well.
kaarina said…
hilarious!!

AND, your hair looks great! (for real. ;)
Becca said…
Um, I pretty much love you A LOT! This was hilarious! Especially the part about having and then not having Eric for your husband. So you. :)
Becky said…
Awesome post! Who knew getting wisdom teeth out would give you so much knowledge? When I got my teeth yanked out, Sue took care of me and she gave me ice bags to put on my face. So I was holding them to my jaws, looking sad and Chris, who was 2 at the time, said to me "Monkey ouch?" He couldn't quite say Becky...
Josh said…
haha you're mouth is huge. But.. Matt and one of my coaches got their wisdom teeth out and they had the same look
Unknown said…
You're really hilarious Brooke! Love Ya!
Elise said…
So I have the funniest story about getting my wisdom teeth out! For brevity's sake, I'll cut to the chase and just say that I was on about 4 times too much medication, and medication can really affect me. I was a zombie--or maybe even two! My mother woke me up to tell me I should go to the bathroom. She assisted me, b/c I was totally out of it. When I bent down to pull my pants up she started freaking out. Well, I know that sounds like I probably started bleeding from bending over or something. Not so. I was so exhausted and drugged up that, while I was 100% convinced I was in the act of pulling my pants up, I was in truth curling up on the bathroom floor to go back to sleep. Of course, since I only THOUGHT I was pulling my pants up, this never actually happened. No. I was on my bathroom floor taking a nap, with my pants (and undies) around my ankles. Sorry to be so graphic on your blog, I hope you'll forgive me! Also, I'm glad to hear your recovery went so well! I was a chipmunk who couldn't eat anything that required me to stretch my mouth for more than three weeks! Long recovery... but only one episode in the bathroom, so that was good!
Em said…
You are hilarious. And yes, I can totally vouch for the hard to fast thing (and even add diabetes to the equation!) I laughed out loud at the don't have Eric for your husband one.
Okay, so your sister in law Mandi? I swear I know her from somewhere. When I saw her face I thought of this concert I saw at BYU-Idaho where CDT was dancing to the orchestra playing Stravinksy and this amazing dancer was a red bird. Was that her?! (I know, totally totally random. But she was INCREDIBLE.)
Brooke said…
No, I don't think Mandi was the bird- but she was a vocal performance major at BYU-Idaho- and is AMAZING! She also was Mary recently for Savior of the World in Rexburg. You might have met her at some point at BYU-Idaho- hope that helps.
The drugs that put you under are a strange thing. I remember when I had surgery to remove my appendix the same thing happened. One minute your there and the next hours have passed. It's the strangest feeling. I think you look cute with puffy cheeks. I too had a good laugh with your post. I love your sense of humor! I love my Brooke. Can I still call you my Brooke?
Anonymous said…
Brookey you are so funny! I will keep these things in mind if I ever get my wisdom teeth out--so far they have never come in... Does that make me unwise because I don't have them? Or maybe more wise, since everyone else seems to just want to take them out...
I'll keep in mind to have and not to have Eric as my husband.

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....