Skip to main content

Deals

So I like getting good deals. O.k. so I like getting great deals. I have to confess- one of my favorite things to do is looking on www.craigslist.org and seeing what is for sale. (Even if I'm not looking for anything particular.) And since we just got the internet at my house, looking for great deals via online coupons, and store price comparison sites can consume much of my time. So much time in fact that it probably isn't worth the time I use to find the deals. I think it's just one of my obsessions- it kind of drives Eric crazy.

Are you one of those shoppers like me with excessive frugality in your blood? For example I cannot buy a drink at a restaurant or fast food place, because I think I can get three 2-liters of the same drink for the price you're charging me. (Even if I have a coupon that says buy one meal and two drinks get one meal free- I think I never buy drinks anyway, and the drinks end up costing as much as the meal would have cost in the first place.) And whenever I buy clothes, it has to be a screaming deal- and if someone compliments me on a clothing item I'm wearing I have to immediately jump in and tell where I got it and for how much- really- who does that?!?

Well, all that aside, I thought I would share a little of my wealth of deal knowledge with those around me- and then maybe all of the time I spend to understand it would be worth it somehow. Maybe I'll even do them regularly, if people don't get too bored with these posts. (Let me know, please!)

So a few new favorite places of mine recently. Restaurant.com- awesome! You buy a $25 gift certificate for $10. However if you match it up with a www. couponmom.com coupon- or go to www.spoofee.com you can get even 60-70% off that price. So you spend $3 or $4 for $25- a pretty sweet deal! (The only thing is most of them require a $35 minimum purchase, but still that's like $13 or $14 you're spending for an $35 at the restaurant) The other great thing about restaurant.com is you can procrastinate and print it off 5 minutes before you walk out the door to the restaurant. Which is different from citydeals.com which you have to pick it up in Sandy- or have it mailed to you for a fee in a few days.

www.spoofee.com- a fun place that has coupons, freebies, and great deals all around. My recent favorite from there- a 2 for 1 Jamba juice coupon- printable from your computer.

www.couponmom.com- a very practical site to help you get started in making coupons really work for you. (I didn't believe in coupons before looking at this site, and I'm going to try it for awhile and see how it goes.)

Let me know if you have a favorite site that saves you big bucks, or a deal that can't be passed up. I know there are tons of blogs out there like that-but you guys are my friends, and I'm curious to know if you're as into this stuff as I am. la lala la, and that's all for now.

Comments

Anna said…
I love good deals. Do you check out KSL.com classifieds ever? I like it better than craigslists (but I check both) because you can see thumbnails of the pictures without clicking on each listing.

I'm also a big fan of yard sales. Solid wood dining table halfway refinished $30, ha!
Brooke said…
It's true- I love KSL classifieds as well, but I get more stuff from craigslist usually because it narrows it down by area- and most of the stuff with KSL is closer to the Salt Lake area. Yard Sales are definitely winners!
Unknown said…
Thanks for that restaurant.com info! I can't wait to use that! Oh, if you're shopping for big things or promotions on certain things like computers or internet service, you can visit www.fatwallet.com. They have deals posted that are running anywhere and everywhere. You just search for whatever you're looking for. It's been nice for us. We got a sweet deal on a new computer through Dell and then Dell ended up giving us like three gift cards just for buying through them!
I got a $130 camera for $17 using one of the gift cards we got for free!
This comment has been removed by the author.
"Who does that?!" I do and it also drives Mike crazy! I worry so much about money it's ridiculous. I usually don't do coupons. Instead I just go without a lot of things. I can talk myself out of buying q-tips and everything else that most people have no problem buying. I use to only buy store brand groceries because I couldn't tell the difference until Mike asked if I would please stop buying the cheapest peanut butter and the like. Apparently he can taste a big difference.

A funny story: The first time Mike and I went grocery shopping together he told me to go buy cereal and when he wanted to exchange the bag cereal for box cereal I told him there was no need because it wasn't Christmas (growing up our mom let us pick out our favorite box cereal for x-mas every year and mine was Cinnamon Toast Crunch). Needless to say he thought I was pretty crazy and I still get excited every time I go grocery shopping for cereal and realize I can have Christmas everyday.
emiflute said…
I am always looking for these types of things! Thanks for sharing! I may even send a friend or two to your blog to read all about it too!
Andrea said…
I am in the same club. You aren't the only one who tells people where you "got your cute shirt for just $2!" Thanks for the website recommendations. I will check them out.
Kristi said…
Hi Brooke! We are like the same person. I love restaurant.com, and here is something even better. If you sign up for ebates.com you get cash back for all of the purchases you make online, including at restaurant.com, then they send you a check once a quarter. We got $15 just for signing up for netflix. Just go to www.ebates.com and it will explain it if you say I referred you (kadagaba@yahoo.com), we each get like a $10 gift card to target or something, can't remember. Anyway, then you just log on to their site before you shop online to accrue your credit.

The other one I use a lot is www.retailmenot.com, it is a great resource for finding online coupon codes for anywhere from Kohls to Restaurant.com to target or anywhere.

Let the good deals roll!
Anonymous said…
wow I never knew this stuff existed! I am totally the same about drinks at a restaraunt, and Jen (if you read this comment) we also got brand name cereal for Christmas... the rest of the year it was good ol'fashioned mush,or cornflakes - if we were lucky!
Julie said…
Pinchingyourpennies.com is an awesome forum. They list all the grocery ads and let you know whether stuff is on a good deal or not. It is broken down by grocery store. It has come in handy.

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello new world," says Avey.

Well well here we are. A long road of pregnancy, a long way from home, and a VERY short labor everything came out perfectly (pardon the pun). At 12:01 a.m. on December 8, 2009 Avey _____* Stevenson was born. She weighs 9 pounds, 2.2 Ounces and measures 21 cm in length. She has red hair (arguably strawberry blond), dark blue eyes, chubby cheeks, and a fabulously pleasant disposition. *We are still torn about the middle name. The competing middle names are JoAnna, Kristine, or Anne. This was a miracle in timing. I guess that means that Avey will be a punctual person throughout her life. Brooke called me (Eric) on the way home from picking up Sharon (Brooke's mom) from the airport stating contractions were coming every 4 minutes. We hadn't even gotten to our house when she called with "the voice" that told us to hurry up 'cause the baby is coming. That was a little after 10:30. We rushed her to the hospital down the road, I dropped Jack off at the neighbors house, an...

News Flash!

This is an 11 week ultrasound, and looks close to what my ultrasound looked like, I just can't find where my original went. Oh well, so is the sad life of a second child. Yes! It is true! I am 11 weeks pregnant! I was supposed to be 12 weeks pregnant today, but when my doctor measured the size of the baby it was a week smaller than 12 weeks, even when he did it twice. So rather than my due date being December 1st, it has gotten pushed back to December 8th. I get to be 11 weeks along for two weeks! Awesome! It's really not that bad, and I normally wouldn't wouldn't tell anyone until at least 12 weeks, but the doctor found a heartbeat, and says everything looks healthy and good to go, so I don't want to wait to tell people anymore! (Besides I "technically" waited until I was 12 weeks. :) For those that are dying to know I have definitely felt better than I did with Jack. I haven't taken any medicine to help with the nausea- and that could be ...

Another Grocery Craze!

After going to Albertsons this morning (6:15 AM- don't you worry, long story) and bringing in all the groceries from the car, Eric requested that I take pictures of everything and the receipts. So per request of him, this post is here. Here's all the stuff with Jack in the middle (Well almost all of it, Eric took a bunch of it to work today before I took this picture.) Don't worry, Jack wasn't part of the groceries I bought. All-in-all I got: 17 boxes of cereal 4 bottles of Pantene Pro-V 3 packages of Pampers Diapers 2 Fiber One Pancake Mixes 3 Bisquick mixes 1 Toaster Streudel (I loved those in middle school after going to the temple and having breakfast with friends) 2 Dawn dish washing liquids (28 oz each) 2 things of Tide (64 loads each) 3 BC pre-made frosting 2 Fiber One Toaster Pastries 8 Pack of Bounty Giant Paper Towels 2 boxes of Gushers 2 boxes Gogurt 2 packages butter 1 Malt O meal cereal 1 32 oz block of cheese Total without coupons: $233....